A sermon to provoke our church unto love and good works as we enter into our third year. How time flies! Also an opportunity to recognise some of our faithful members who have helped keep the church ministries run smoothly this past year.
Table of Contents
Happy 2nd Anniversary
- Started 1 March 2015 at 16 Augusta St Punchbowl
- Not the most exciting anniversary events, but memorable nonetheless.
- Lowest attendance 10 – 3rd week 15/03/2015
- Highest attendance 61 – 27/11/16
- Now hovering around 40-50 since the new year.
Whilst great works may be lead by one man, they are never accomplished by one man (excluding miracles or a key turning point)
Nehemiah 3 – Jews rebuilding the wall with Nehemiah
Romans 16 – The roman workers and Paul’s fellowhelpers
Work is easier to do and more effective when everyone in the church is doing it
- more talkers
- more silent partners to break up talkers
- more variation of personalities to be able to reach more types of people
- more encouragement from others
- more unity
- more times available to go
- more people preached to
- more people saved
- more glory to God
- the work is lighter, even the smallest task means someone else didn’t have to do it
- we can have more events and more variation
- we can have larger events
- we can have a more complex event – food, activities, etc.
- makes it more exciting to be there and encourages more people to go – people are sheep and events can snowball
- no one will be forgotten about
- the church bonds will grow stronger, less people getting out of church
- reach more variety of people – age, gender, personal situations (life, finance, problems)
The Church is like a Human Body – 1 Corinthians 12:12-31
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
- The concept of teamwork to more effectively achieve a common goal is a biblical concept
- It is give and take, we need both. Some people need to learn to serve, others need to learn how to be served.
- Churches should not be oriented to one nationality, or one class of people
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
- We are not all the same but everyone plays their part and is part of the body.
- anthony brought a gazebo that needed to be pegged down with my pegs
- my bbq needed to go under the gazebo
- no one would have eaten if we didn’t get the bbq going
- In fact, if someone doesn’t, something will be missing.
- We can change from one body part to another at different times
- Lack of ownership – “this is Victor’s church” – are you not of the body? Is the whole me?
- if I have to do all the organizing, where were the preaching?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
- God sets the members in the church, because he builds the church (Mark 16:18)
- What brought you here? – it was God that lead you here, sure people were used to let you know about it.
- 1 Samuel 10:24-27 – Saul’s band of men, there will be enemies
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
- Don’t despise an ear for not being able to see.
- We all have strengths and weaknesses, let’s not make excuses for them, but let’s also not get prideful if we don’t struggle in areas that others may.
- There is always a reason why someone is in a church, even if you think they have no purpose
- There is no vestigial organ, and there is no vestigial church member.
- Let’s see the value of each other as God sees it but at the same time provoking one another unto love and good works.
- We should all rejoice at growing in the faith, no matter how fast or slow as long as we are moving in the right direction.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
- The more excellent way is love – 1 Cor 13
- John 13:34-35 – if ye have love one for another
- Saved – right salvation doctrine
- Disciple – you love the brethren
Col 4:6-16 – This letter was to be read in Laodicea as well as the letter sent to Laodicea to be read in Colossi.
Proverbs 27:2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.
- Not only does the bible give us an example where people worked together, but because they are specifically named it also shows that those who did the work were recognized publicly.
- It is biblical to recognize and praise people publicly that are doing a good work for God and being a help.