Preached by Victor Tey
The importance of Christ fulfilling the whole law (00:34).
Many people are shocked when they learn this doctrine. They think it’s blasphemous, but it’s actually the opposite. Because if you deny the doctrine you are saying Christ did not fulfil the OT law.
Example: The burial of Christ’s body.
Q: Was it crucial that the body of Christ was buried? (02:36)
- Symbolizes a truth revealed to us in nature
- John 12:23-24 – fall into the ground and die
- 1 Corinthians 15:35-37 – sow the grain
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 – proves that Christ rose bodily not spiritually
- Deuteronomy 21:22-23 – to fulfil the old covenant (NEEDED FOR SALVATION)
A: If Christ’s body was not buried, the OT was not fulfilled and we could not be saved.
For me, it was very refreshing to learn about it because it never made sense to me how a physical death and suffering alone can atone for an eternity of hell. If the punishment for sins is hell, wouldn’t it make sense for Christ to go there in order to be our substitute and fulfil the punishment?
Q: Did Jesus go to hell just to take the keys of ownership or was there suffering involved?
Q: Was it like the fiery furnace in the book of Daniel where he entered a place of fire but was not burned?
A: I believe he was burned and did suffer.
7 biblical reasons why Jesus Christ went to hell.
- Plainly preached by Peter the apostle (11:13)
- Psalm 16:8-11 – OT verse for Acts 2:31
- Act 2:25-36 – his soul was not left in hell
- Why was Christ’s soul “resting in hope” if he was only there to get the keys of hell?
- Instructions to Israel regarding the Passover Lamb (17:08)
- 1 Corinthians 5:6-8
- Christ our passover
- Exodus 12:1-11
- Instructions to Israel concerning the passover lamb
- Why burn with fire if Christ was not burned with fire? (eg. like fiery furnace)
- Eat it ready to go into the promised land and claim your inheritance
- 1 Corinthians 5:6-8
- Christ’s soul, not his body, was the sin offering (26:19)
- 2 Corinthians 5:20-21 – made him to be sin
- John 3:14-15 – lifted up the serpent
- Isaiah 53:3-12
- v3-9 – the physical suffering and death (killing the passover lamb)
- v10-12 – soul an offering for sin (burning the passover lamb)
- bruise, grief, travail = no suffering?
- Sign of Jonah the prophet (32:47)
- Matthew 12:38-40 – Jonah was a sign
- Jonah 2:1-7 – afflication, out of the belly of hell, soul fainted
- Christ was dead (37:20)
- Revelation 1:18 – was dead
- Hebrews 2:9 – the suffering of death, taste death for every man
- John 11:25-26 – shall never die (spiritually), can’t just be the physical death and suffering
- Christ suffered in spiritual death.
- Christ descended before he ascended (40:31)
- 1 Peter 3:18-22 – death, spirit went to ‘prison’, resurrection and return to heaven
- Ephesians 4:7-10 – descended first into the lower parts of the earth
- The gates of hell shall not prevail against the rock (43:22)
- Matthew 16:18
- OT laws were completely fulfilled in Christ.
- Assurance that we don’t have to go to hell.
- Proves Christ has power over hell
- Shows that Christ is eternal and infinite, and able to satisfy an everlasting punishment.