My charge to Kevin Sepulveda as he heads over to the Sunshine Coast to pastor The Church in Caloundra.
- I’m not going to pretend that I had a major part in Kevin’s preparation up to this moment.
- When Kevin joined our church he was a ready-made-product, already having much experience in teaching and leadership at his previous church.
- I am thankful though to have had the opportunity to play this small part in his spiritual journey.
- Kevin and his family were at the first gathering of our church and started attending regularly just shortly after it started on 1st March 2015.
- Today, this moment, has just been a matter of God’s timing.
- My goal has always been to sharpen him a little and challenge him to think more deeply through doctrines or traditions that have become very familiar to all of us.
- And I’m sure I speak for all of us when I say we’d rather have them remain here with us. But I’m also sure we all recognize the great need for more churches like this one to be set in order in other cities around our country.
- In the last 2 years, Kevin has shown himself faithful and qualified to take on this office and responsibility. He’s been a blessing to me and to this church and I’m sure many of you will testify to that.
- But now God has lead Kevin to Caloundra in the Sunshine Coast. May this day mark the start of a great work to be done for the glory of Jesus Christ.
Be with him
Mark 3:14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
Mark 3:15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:
- The work of the ministry is never done. There is always more to do
- Noble, edifying, righteous, godly things to do – e.g.
- plus, the added responsibility of your own family.
- Oftentimes the hardest thing to do is to know when to say NO – to ensure you maintain your own personal walk with the Lord and “be with him”.
- Before the twelve were sent forth to preach for him or do a great work for him, they were ordained to “be with him”
“Don’t let the busyness of the ministry crowd God out of your schedule.”
Be a light
Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Matthew 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
- Christians have been called to a public ministry.
- How much more so for those of us ordained to be an ensample to the flock.
- A lit candle may be burning with the same intensity, but it only lights the whole room if it is put on a candlestick, not kept under a bushel.
“To be an example you must be seen and heard.”
John 5:33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
John 5:34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
John 5:35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
Matthew 10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.
- With technology and social media, our message can now reach further than just the ears of our church.
- And always be ready to give an answer to everyone that asketh you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.
“Don’t shy away from a public life, embrace it.”
2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
2 Timothy 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
2 Timothy 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
- Stay on task and fulfil your calling – to be a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
- Beware of the thorns of life that take you from your purpose and cause you to become unfruitful.
2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- Continue in those things that you have learned and hast been assured of
- Not the traditions of man, but the traditions based on scripture
- I hope this is something that Kevin has experienced being here – what it truly means for the bible to be the final authority in all matters of faith and practice in the church.
2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2 Timothy 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2 Timothy 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
- The word of God will oftentimes be “out of season” with the world.
- But sometimes “out of season” is when opposition comes from those within your own circle of influence.
- Have the boldness to stand for the truth even in the face of adversity amongst your peers.
- We have discussed how independent churches can work together without becoming a pseudo-denomination – one way we can prevent this is for each bishop to have the boldness and responsibility to stand up for what is right, even if it goes against the majority.
- Be faithful to the work of the ministry – endure afflictions and do the work of an evangelist
“Be faithful to Jesus Christ and his Word – not to the traditions of men.”